“Incident in Stromlo” Detected

I had a run in Melbourne, through (more or less) my usual route, before we took the drive to come up to Canberra last Monday.

On Tuesday morning, I ran on the Cooleman Ridge Nature Reserve, just at the back of the property we’re staying in Chapman. It is a beautiful spot, with numerous vantage points to take in the sunrise. It was so good I kept doing it every morning.

On Friday morning however, just nearing the 4km mark, I was distracted by a couple of gorgeous looking dogs. I tripped, and stumbled forwards a few meters before falling. As I fell, I could feel a strong pull on the back of my right thigh.

It took me a little while to recover and when I could finally stand up, a lady with those 2 dogs asked if I was ok. I said I wasn’t sure, as I felt blood flowing from my left knee, left palm, and left forehand. I knew something was amiss with my left thigh. It took me a couple more minutes before I could slowly walk away. As I walked a bit more, I could feel the pain on the back of my right thigh getting worse.

The walk back to our temporary home in Chapman was about 2km, but it took me just under an hour. I had to stop about half a dozen times. Several times, I thought I would black out.

When I got home, I sat on a chair and that’s when the dam broke and the pain hit me like a train. I went into shock, felt cold, shivered and sat there just convulsing as Tress tried to ring a few doctors. The host of our home then came around, offered some blankets and cold packs, before suggesting we called an ambulance. Tress did, and about an hour later, the ambos arrived and I went into the emergency department of the Canberra Hospital.

The medical team was very good, as they managed my pain and checked on me. No fractures. No concussion. No nervous system damage. Badly torn hamstring is the suspected cause of my pain. The young doctor who attended to me said she would confirm the diagnosis with a (more senior) consultant and I was left alone for a little while. I was given an array of painkillers and they worked. Several hours later, they said I could leave. Tress picked up more painkillers from the pharmacy at the hospital, we got a pair of crutches, had the wounds washed and dressed, and left the hospital in the arvo.

It has been over 3 days since the incident. The pain remains and I will have to manage it for maybe a week or two (at least, I think). Painkillers help. Of equal help however (if not more) is the exhilaration of holding little Abby in my arms, seeing her held by Tress, Kiddo or Mic. They soothe so well.


Ready to engage

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s