For the first time in years, we are thinking to go away for the Good Friday and Easter Sunday weekend. A major event in the church calendar, we have always stuck around at this time for church matters. Typically there will be Good Friday services and Easter Sunday baptisms with a big lunch to follow.
Back in Malaysia there were also Maundy Thursday prayer meetings as well as sunrise services on Easter Sunday. Special Sunday school events abound too. Too many things happen at this time for us to be planning to get away.
All this busy-ness at this time was underpinned – anchored – by a fundamentally stable relationship with the local church. Absent this relationship it becomes a bit detached and these activities suddenly dissipate in terms of significance or importance. No doubt the Lord’s suffering, death and resurrection continues to be significant and important but the commemoration and celebration are meaningful only in the context of a community.
We don’t presently have that community and so we’re thinking of plans to go away. At least let the getaway – the road trip, the hideaway, the beach perhaps, the discovery of cafes, restaurants and wineries maybe – pale as they are in comparison, hopefully they will be salves for the ugly bits.
- Poems for Good Friday and Easter Sunday (darsba.wordpress.com)
- #@!$ #!@ Paster Mint and Pink Easter Sunday Church Pant Suit by Donna Vinci 11207 Discussion (suitwomensale.wordpress.com)
- Holy Week Announcement (wellnesswithart.com)
- Resources for Holy Week 2013 – Maundy Thursday (godspace.wordpress.com)
- What is Maundy Thursday? (faithfulprovisions.com)