K Rudd and R Ponting. They once held the highest and second highest offices of the country respectively. Each of those offices are now held by someone else. In the case of Rudd, it is now held by someone immensely unpopular, disliked and not trusted. Ponting’s successor has now won over the populace. Michael Clarke has through the course of this summer which saw a comprehensive victory over the Indians – an Indian Summer for Aussie cricket indeed – earned the affection of Aussies. Gillard however, remains a turn off for many. Poor judgment and liberty with the truth are a deadly combination as far as public trust and affection is concerned.
Both Rudd and Ponting however, are not happy little vegemites when it comes to exiting the scene graciously.
There comes a time for everyone, when the spotlight is trained on someone else. No matter the level of success, one soon becomes a has been. I bet the late Whitney Houston will very soon – if not already – disappear from public forum, great singer that she was. If only Rudd (in particular) learns how to be contented with what he is doing and not look at what lies at the next corner. That can be a really hard thing to do. To win confidence and affection however, that is what one needs to do.
- What Rudd can learn from Ricky Ponting (thepunch.com.au)
- ‘Ponting contemplating retirement from ODIs’ (indiavision.com)
- Ponting intends to extend Test career (thehindu.com)
- Ponting ‘not bitter’ over ODI axing (3news.co.nz)
- Ponting dropped from Australia’s ODI squad (thehindu.com)
- Ricky Ponting dropped from Australia one-day squad (independent.co.uk)
- Aussie PM says she has Colleagues’ Support (time.com)
- Gillard backers warn of ruin under Rudd (news.theage.com.au)
- Ponting to announce cricket intentions (news.smh.com.au)
- Ponting to announce cricket intentions (news.theage.com.au)
- ODI axing may push Ponting towards retirement – Inverarity (espncricinfo.com)
- Ponting may be considering retirement (news.theage.com.au)
- Australia drop Ponting, bring in Watson (cricketnext.in.com)
- VIDEO: Ricky Ponting retires from one day cricket (3news.co.nz)
- Australia drop Ponting from ODIs (bbc.co.uk)
- Australia axe Ponting (skysports.com)
- Jaded Ponting needs a break: coach Arthur (nation.com.pk)