Craig Thomson was exonerated by the NSW Police. Or was he? The police investigation simply found that there was no evidence to suggest the credit card in question was used illegally. Craig Thomson had earlier suggested it wasn’t him who used the card to pay for prostitutes, implying the card was used by someone else. This was where the illegality could have resided – it could have been a credit card fraud offence. The fact that there was no suggestion that the card was fraudulently used simply confirmed Craig Thomson did use the card to pay for prostitutes, contrary to his denial. So in a funny way, the “exoneration” actually implicated Craig Thomson – not for any criminal conduct for in relation to using union money for an improper purpose.
Craig Thomson said he would provide a full statement to the parliament, but did not say when.
HSU members should no doubt be up in arms that union officials can be allowed to use their hard earned money for personal benefits and for despicable peccadilloes no less. The likes of Thomson continue to tar the image of unions and its officials.
The more recent story of Michael Williamson being accorded favours by Gilleland and his printing business surely does the image of unions and its officers absolutely no favours. The “Health Standard” must be one of the most glossy union newsletters around and “Communigraphix” probably need to maintain the gloss to continue operating out of the northern beaches of Sydney. The continuing silence of these union mob can be telling. I often dislike the saying “there is no smoke without fire”, as it can be easy to create smoke in order to create the impression of a fire, but in this case, I have a feeling most would that saying its usual meaning and unless Thomson and Williamson both responded vigorously, they will do themselves, and the Labor Party absolutely no good whatsoever.
- More credit card allegations for Thomson (news.theage.com.au)
- Thomson’s new link to illicit cash (theage.com.au)
- Glenn Milne’s Piece The Australian Withdrew (godsmustardseed.com)
- Union boss in Thomson probe has breakdown (theage.com.au)
- Victoria Police to rule on Thomson affair (heraldsun.com.au)
- HSU member speaks out on Thomson (news.theage.com.au)
- Police drop MP sex scandal probe (bbc.co.uk)
- Opposition keeps up MP pursuit (theage.com.au)
- Former head of Thomson inquiry to avoid scrutiny (theage.com.au)
- Labor MP Thomson to explain scandal (news.theage.com.au)