If the allegations are true, Craig Thomson would be very much at home in Malaysia. Unfortunately I have in my past life, been in situations and circumstances which landed me in places I didn’t really want to be. Senior politicians of the ruling parties would often be found in these places, accompanied by unsavoury business identities who almost certainly paid for whatever services sought or were made available.
The difference now of course is that Craig Thomson was apparently alone when he allowed his pecadilloes to go untamed. What’s worse, if the allegations are true, he stands to be charged for misappropriating funds. He sounds like a really tragic man. He could however, be the saviour of Australia at this point in time.
He appears to be a politican close to the likes of Mark Arbib and Karl Bitar – those pollies who somehow managed to build reputations of themselves as oily manipulative men who wouldn’t baulk at doing questionable deeds. If one takes a straw poll, those two men would probably be among the most mistrusted characters in the country. That they were the ones who brokered the deal within NSW Labor to avoid banruptcy for Craig Thomson and the catastrophic consequences that would bring for Julia Gillard and her government would only further tar this present government. One would have thought that would be hard to do but there you go.
I think with each passing week, the Julia Gillard minority Labor Government inches ever closer to the status of the UMNO Government of Malaysia, which is saying something. The convoy of no confidence wasn’t in Canberra today – it has circled all over Australia for months now. For the umpteenth time, bring on the elections – please….
- Seven days until Craig Thompson has to grill the Reserve Bank governor (petermartin.com.au)
- Convoy hits Canberra, but no signs of a blockade (theage.com.au)
- Thomson should lose committee role: Oppn (news.theage.com.au)
- Thomson affair ‘paralyses’ Labor: Abbott (theage.com.au)
- Maybe Craig Thompson will greet the governor (petermartin.com.au)
- Labor MP in prostitute scandal (allaboutfunandcelebritiesnews.wordpress.com)
- Wilkie watching Thomson controversy (theage.com.au)