Li Na won the French Open ladies’ title last night and while I dont normally watch a ladies’ tennis match I stayed up last night to watch this one. It was the second Grand Slam final Li Na has managed to get herself into, after losing to Aussie Kim in Melbourne Park earlier this year. This time, she beat the lady who stopped Sam Stosur last year, Schiavone – she of the Ah Hiiiii infamy – and became the first ever Asian to win a Grand Slam singles title. I had to watch this one for that reason and it was well worth it.
Well done Li Na, and may there be many more players from China and the rest of Asia, to add variety to the tennis scene. The commentators on Sky made some negative remarks about the both Li Na and Schiavone’s English language proficiency but why should that be an issue at all. Tennis has ceased to be an English speaking countries‘ game for a long time now and while 3 of the 4 Grand Slam tournaments may be hosted in English speaking countries, the players’ proficiency in that language should be no issue whatsoever. One day, commentators may need to be able to speak Chinese before they can be useful even as television pundits, so better avoid that issue for now.
Gong xi Li Na.
- Li Na Wins French Open, Becomes First Chinese Player to Win Grand Slam Tennis Tournament (shoppingblog.com)
- Li Na wins French Open, makes singles history (via This Just In) (bizweev.wordpress.com)
- Li Na Defeats Francesa Schiavone to Win 2011 French Open (blippitt.com)
- French Open 2011: Li Na Makes History with Epic Win over Francesca Schiavone (bleacherreport.com)
- Li Na makes history with French Open final victory over Schiavone (sportingo.com)
- Wertheim: Impressions from Li’s historic French Open victory (opensource.si.com)
- Li Na: 2011 French Open Winner Li China’s First Grand Slam Single’s Champion (bleacherreport.com)
- Li Na Wins French Open, First For China (time.com)
- Li Na of China wins French Open women’s title | Tennis (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Li Na becomes first Chinese player to claim Grand Slam event (rt.com)
- Li Na Accomplishes ‘Dream’ With China’s First Tennis Major at French Open – Bloomberg (news.google.com)