Malaysia has been in Australian news recently. Australia under the Labor Government has been clutching at straws to formulate a credible policy in addressing asylum seekers who arrive on boats operated by people smugglers.
Under the previous Liberal Government, John Howard’s Pacific Solution entailed escorting boats to Nauru, where they are processed for refugee status. This was a very clear signal to people smugglers that they could never deliver effective services to their clients as they would not land in Australia. The result was that the number of boats arriving plunged. When Labor abolished this and allowed illegal arrivals to land and be processed on shore, where different rules prevail, the number of boats shot up.
For reasons which can only be political, Nauru and the Pacific Solution ala John Howard was cut adrift and Labor has been bobbing around for a safe harbour to berth a policy. Thanks to about $300million (1 billion Malaysian Ringgit) Malaysia has agreed to be Julia Gillard’s Nauru.
The problem of course, was that not only would Australia fork out a lot of moolah (not that Malaysia is an un-greedy refugee processing centre of sorts who would be willing to accept less) but Australia also needed, under the deal with Malaysia, to take 5 refugees currently housed in Malaysia for every one asylum seeker Malaysia agrees to accept to be process for refugee status.
We have agreed to take in 4,000 refugees for the 800 asylum seekers Malaysia agrees to process, and which we may take back anyway. This works out to be about $54,000 per person – Malaysia gets $165,00 (RM) for every refugee it has probably abused for years. What a deal huh? For Malaysia I mean.
Congratulations Najib – you have struck yourself a winner, and all because (1) Australia is a generous benefactor with loads of compassion and (2) it is governed by a egotistical idiotic and profligate Labor Government. You are a very lucky beneficiary of this stupidity. For Malaysia, Najib teruk but nasib baik.
So it is really a win-win scenario for Malaysia. Malaysia has well over 90,000 refugees, who are subject to constant extortion and abuse by immigration and custom officers. After exacting callous release of their gratification from these victims, Malaysians stand to benefit by appearing to do Australia a favour, at a cool pay day worth RM1billion.
So as Muslim countries beat each other up and cause their people to flee, yet more Muslim countries abuse them en route to some ex-Christian countries with lingering Christian values who for one reason or another, agree to provide salvation for these souls. If and when some of them eventually settle down they might then gripe about Christian values and say they should be given the freedom to rile and rant against western Christian civilisation.
- Asylum deal prompts rights push in Malaysia (thesail.wordpress.com)
- Gillard gambles on refugee swap deal (heraldsun.com.au)
- “Australia in Malaysia asylum deal” and related posts (rocketnews.com)
- Australia in Malaysia asylum deal (bbc.co.uk)
- Australia condemned over deal to ship refugees to Malaysia (independent.co.uk)
- Malaysian Detention Centres are already overcrowded – so why accept to house asylum seekers already in Australia? (thesail.wordpress.com)
- Asylum seekers who arrive in Australia by boat can be sent directly to Malaysia (thesail.wordpress.com)
- Malaysia to take 800 Australia asylum seekers (telegraph.co.uk)
- Malaysiakini.com:M’sia agrees to take 800 Australia asylum seekers (sanooaung.wordpress.com)
- Malaysia to take 800 Australia asylum seekers (seattletimes.nwsource.com)