Tress and I caught a little bit of the Anzac Day march footage a short while ago. We were wondering what was the significance of the rosemary sprig most of the presenters were wearing on their left lapels.
Apparentlty in ancient Greek times, the rosemary was thought to strengthen memory. Wearing the rosemary is probably a reminder that we are not to forget what these veterans have done for the nation. “Lest We Forget” is a phrase often used on this day – it’s roots were in relation to a poem to remember World War I veterans of the Brittish.
So I guess if you’re looking for something to boost your memory – rosemary it is!
- Lest We Forget – Easter & ANZAC Day combined. (screaminggoose.wordpress.com)
- Sirocco holds Anzac Day service (siroccotimes.wordpress.com)
- John Pilger on Anzac Day (cruciality.wordpress.com)
- Anzac Day (bobsmyuncle.wordpress.com)
- Anzac Day 2011: Recycling the recycled stuff (stilgherrian.com)
- Australians rise to commemorate Anzac Day (news.theage.com.au)
- Misty Anzac day dawn service for Melbourne (news.theage.com.au)
- All Aussie and Kiwi music thread — for ANZAC Day (current.com)
- Anzac Day:- Australia (Video Included) (magsx2.wordpress.com)
- RSA on-line for Anzac Day (homepaddock.wordpress.com)