I was still mulling over whether to get Rob Bell‘s ‘Love Wins” on the Kindle, half thinking Paul’s ethos of becoming “all things to all men so that by all means some may be saved“. Maybe, from the perspective of reaching out to certain demographics, this book may turn out to be a gem. Yet, what is the gospel Paul’s ethos was directed at, and is this the same gospel “Love Wins” seeks to share? I have read about half a dozen reviews on Amazon, scan through Witherington’s chapter-by-chapter response and I think it is a book I can ignore for now.
Incidentally, the following extract was from one of the Amazon reviews. I think this reviewer summed it up in funny way…
Several times he asks how can we be punished for the mistakes of a relatively short period of time (our life on earth) for all eternity? How can God be loving? How can God be fair? In answering, I’ll point out that the book makes no mention of Original Sin, and I believe that’s his undoing. When you short-change the significance the wholesale betrayal by our ancestors, then yeah, God’s judgement comes off badly. I describe Genesis 3 as spitting in the face of God, open defiance and shameless rebellion (shame followed soon enough) and anyone less merciful and loving and kind that God would simple snap his fingers, type control-z on his cosmic keyboard and undo the 6 days of Creation. No big deal, the Trinity was harmonious before Creation and we’ll be fine without those thankless twerps. Good thing I’m not God. No, God pursues us for bloody, harrowing centuries with steadfast love and his infinitely costly master plan to restore his creation to order.
- Rob Bell and Martin Bashir (reachingyouth.wordpress.com)
- Rob Bell Book Review (frasermurdoch.wordpress.com)
- Rob Bell Rejects the Gospel (slaughteringthesheep.wordpress.com)
- Rob Bell Love Wins FAQ (ryangear.com)
- Love Wins: A Conversation on Rob Bell’s New Book (Al Mohler, Justin Taylor, Denny Burk, Russell Moore) (justaftersunrise.wordpress.com)
- Two Perspectives On Evangelical Theology Prompted By Rob Bell’s ‘Love Wins’ (mgpcpastor.wordpress.com)
- Rob Bell’s questions about heaven and hell: “Love Wins” (schansblog.blogspot.com)